School Re-Entry Road Map Approved by School Committee on 8/26/2020
Greetings Cohasset Staff and Faculty, Families, and Students,
The past few months have required a great amount of flexibility, patience, and understanding from all members of the Cohasset Public Schools Learning Community. I personally want to thank everyone for their continued collaboration with and support of each other. These difficult times have also required us to stay true to our core values of physical and social-emotional safety, teaching the whole child, focusing on the social-emotional and academic development of our children and students, and community outreach, collaboration, and communication. The following document represents the work of many parents/guardians, students, and educators who collaborated to create plans that reflect the guidance provided by Commissioner of Education Jeff Riley and his Fall School Re-Entry group, which is made up of state health and educational officials. The input gathered from the Family Forums and School Committee Meetings significantly aided in the development of this plan. Additionally, operational teams created plans for each school that are detailed in this Road Map.
It is important that as we implement our safety-conscious plans to start school in the fall that we remember the importance of "joy" within our schools. The Cohasset Public Schools are vibrant and warm places for staff to work and for students to learn, and as we move into the implementation of these plans, we will focus on keeping that warmth that makes Cohasset a special place. We will continue to view everything "Through the Eyes of the Student," and we will keep stressing that "This is Important, You Can Do It, and We Will Not Give Up On You" throughout any changes that come our way.
Please see the link below to access the Cohasset Public Schools Fall School Re-Entry Road Map 2020 - 2021, which was approved by the School Committee on 8/26/2020. We will be following this plan, as we begin school.
- In the coming days, building principals will be sending out specific Frequently Asked Question (FAQ) documents that pertain to their buildings, as well as additional information related to the start of school, including a detailed explanation of the first week of school, which begins on 9/22/2020.
- The Calendar for the 2020-2021 School Year with the changes that were voted on by School Committee is can be accessed by clicking on the link at the bottom of this email.
- We analyzed the possibility of bringing in the children of teachers for four or five in-person days, but due to a lack of space for the many children that fell into this category, we are unable to offer this service.
- Bus routes will be posted on the district webpage, and letters will be sent home to those families in grades K-6 outside of a two (2) mile radius who have signed up for a bus over the next few days.
- We are preparing videos of the school spaces and our approaches to safety in each of the buildings, which should be ready by the end of next week.
- In the coming days, I will be communicating with families regarding further opportunities to ask questions regarding our plan, if clarifications are needed.
Have a wonderful weekend.
Patrick E. Sullivan, Ed.D.
Cohasset Public Schools