The annual budget is the financial expression of the educational program of the school department, and it mirrors the problems and difficulties that confront the school system.
Cohasset PS Annual Budget Policy (DB)
The information below is from the District's Budget Deadlines and Schedules:
Preparation of the annual budget will be scheduled in stages throughout the school year with attention to certain deadlines established by law and charter.
By October first of each year the Superintendent will submit to the School Committee for approval a calendar of events for developing a budget for the next fiscal year. The calendar will include, but not be limited to, the following events:
- Budget overview - A general review by the Superintendent of the proposed budget emphasizing gross costs, programs to be added or deleted, and an estimate of total expenditures.
- Tentative budget - The School Committee will adopt a tentative annual budget in sufficient time to allow for presentation of the budget in local news media and in sufficient time to allow the preparation of handout information for the school budget hearing. The tentative budget will contain all anticipated costs and will itemize all anticipated revenue so that the information presented at the school budget hearing will be as complete as possible.
- Tentative date for Public Hearing - In reaching its decision on the budget amount that it will submit to the Town Manager, the School Committee will hold a public hearing on the proposed budget not less than seven days after the notice for this hearing has been published in a local newspaper. The public hearing will be at least thirty days before the scheduled Annual Town Meeting at which time the operating budget will be voted upon.
- Budget to Be Considered at Annual Town Meeting - The School District operating budget that is forwarded to the Town Manager for inclusion in the Annual Town Meeting operating budget warrant article as certified by the School Committee prior to its transmission to the Town Manager.
- Final Budget - The final budget to be adopted by the School Committee by formal vote in an open meeting.
The calendar year for budget preparation will be determined by calculating backwards from the final adoption date: the Annual Town Meeting. Close coordination with the Town Manager is essential.
The budget schedule, with approximate timing, is shown below.
Principals submit building maintenance needs to Director of Finance and Operations.
Submit Capital requests to Town Manager / Capital Budget Committee.
Budget Information sent to Principals and discussed at District Leadership meeting.
School Committee discusses principles and priorities to guide the budget process.
District leaders submit budgets to Director of Finance and Operations.
School Committee finalizes Budget Priorities.
Superintendent and Director of Finance and Operations meet w/Principals and Directors to discuss preliminary FY21 budget.
School committee to discuss Budget Process Update.
Superintendent and Director of Finance and Operations review preliminary budget.
FY21 Budget Workshop with District Leadership Team.
School Committee reviews ‘first pass’ of budget and school budget FAQ.
School Committee receives preliminary FY21 Operating Budget.
Superintendent and Director of Finance and Operations present overview of proposed FY21 Operating Budget and Capital Budget to School Committee.
FY21 Line Item Budget Presentation to School Committee.
School Committee discussion of the FY21 Budget
District publishes notice of upcoming public hearing in local newspaper.
School committee discusses budget and receives presentation of state budget (Representative Meschino and Senator O’Connor).
Joint meeting of School Committee, Selectmen and Advisory Committee.
School Committee public hearing on budget.
School Committee votes final adoption of budget and certifies budget figure.
Final Account Line budgets sent to Principals and Directors.